Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Hospitality Club guests

I had 5 guests from the HC (Hospitality Club) over in the past week.

Steve, an Aussie (Australian) living and working in Edinburgh at the moment, came by. I picked him up at the North train station. It was first time I went there; it was at night, but I was not scared. I asked the two policemen where the Eurolines busses stop and I found Steve easily after beforehand agreeing that I will wear a red scarf (although it was too hot for a scarf) and he was having a red backpack as well. We did not buy the ticket for the metro, nobody checks anyway. I told him what I tell to all my guests "If they ask you for the ticket, just speak your mother language". With Steve it would be difficult as English is his mother tongue, but I am sure that with a heavy Aussie accent he could have got away with it. Anyway, nobody checked the tickets:) Steve comes from an average Australian family (without the dog), finished medical care studies (If I recall correctly), did some social work in Nepal and is now working with children at risk in Edinburgh. And in the meanwhile tries to seize as much as possible from travelling cheaper in Europe. That is how he ended up in Brussels, with cheap Eurolines ticket from London.

Anna, a Polish girl, who finished her studies in Islamic painting, working in London in the security field, found my place by herself. 5.15 a.m. the doorbell rang. I knew she would arrive earlier, but I did not think so early. What else could I do, then to get up and open the door. There she was, full of energy, plans and readyness to seize the day and to visit as many museums as possible, of some I have not even heard. She brought me excellent English black tea and great tips on what kind of questions should I ask to the HC guests.

When Steve and Anna left, Milos, Bojan and Muris came. They are all studying in Wien, Austria, but are coming from different towns. Milos, an international relations student comes from Belgrade, Serbia. Bojan, medicine student comes from Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Muris, IT student, comes from Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was fun having them around for 2 days. They cooked, cleaned, did some men`s housework and managed to get me partying with them on Monday until early morning hours. I still ask myself how I managed to go to work on Tuesday:) They could not understand how I can be a veggie and left a nice invitation to "čevapčiči" in my Guest book. It is always a pleasure to have people from the once common country visiting.

No comments: