Monday, April 23, 2007

Bread dumplings



Did you ever think what to do with the rest of the bread that has been lying on your table for a couple of days? Do you just throw it away? Or do you eat all the bread that you buy? In some countries (e.g. Croatia) bread is untaxed, so it would be a sin to throw away even the crumbs.

I am lucky and I am not thrown into this kind of dilemma very often as bread is something I avoid and it is rarely seen in my apartment, apart from when the guests bring it. It happened so these days as we were eating fresh bread every day which resulted in leftovers of masses of bread from previous days which nobody ate. This is how I started making bread crumbs when I remembered that I could do bread dumplings as well, one of my favourite dishes I stuff myself with when back home:)

Here is the recipe for 21 bread dumplings:
  • approximately 1 and a half kilo of two to three days old white bread,
  • 4 to 5 eggs,
  • 7 dcl milk,
  • garlic and parsley.
Cannibals may wish to add pieces of bacon; I added fresh basilic. Veggies may wish to use soya milk instead of cow milk and egg replacements (e.g. oil) instead of eggs, although I used eggs as the guests left them behind.

Cut the bread into small pieces (approximately 0.5 x 0.5 cm) and put it into big bowl. Add milk. Mix with a large spoon. Cut the garlic and herbs into small pieces and mix them with bread. Leave 10 minutes to soak. Squeeze the bread, so that it is not too much soaked.

Make dumplings using your hands; if needed help yourself with a spoon. Put dumplings on plate lightly pre-covered with bread crumbs. Take care that the dumplings do not touch one another. Put into freezer or cook immediately for approximately 10 minutes. Once frozen, dumplings can be put into one bag/dish and be left in the freezer for later use.

Bread dumplings are good company to goulash and sauces. Mmm, I cannot wait to make myself a good seitan goulash and stuff myself with a couple of bread dumplings:)

Bon apetit!:)

2 comments:

NoKas said...

Good idea! I've got some bread now... Will do that!

Andre said...

Hummm...
What about one of this days doing another cooking session with everyone.
WE might want to think on getting a theme.. like deserts, meat, vegetables or... bread?:)