Thursday, May 24, 2007

My village





Have you ever heard of a small village called "Drenov Grič"? Probably not, but let me tell you something about it since 11 May was European Mineral Day and my village has a lot to tell about minerals, among other things:)

There are about 500 enhabitants, number increasing, living in the village of Drenov Grič. The name of the village comes from "Dren", which is the name of the bush that used to grow here, but I never saw it. In English "Dren" stands for "dogwood" and "Gric" stands for "a hillock", as the dogwood has grown on the hillocks surrounding the village in the past. According to the pictures of dogwood I found on the internet, it looks like magnolia (at least to me).

In Drenov Grič you can find two inns, one small shop, fruit and vegetable shop (One can even pay with a mobile phone!), two bars, a cash machine (It was an achievment and a half to get one), football, tennis and basketball playgrounds, an elementary school, a bus station, a former train station, American blueberry orchards (where I spent a lot of my teenage time picking up blueberries, earning money, but also filling my stomach with the tasty blueberries), horseriding facilities , several SMEs (Small and medium entreprises) and a firefighters brigade in Drenov Grič.

With a budget or aproximately 4.000 Euro a year, the village improves its appear, however very slow and most of the time on the costs of the villagers. I think that a traffic lights has been foreseen in the next ten year. However, if I want to get to my house, I still need to take the small bridge, which will fall apart soon as too heavy truck drive over in order to build more houses for people coming from the capital.


The village is located on the spot where a lot of limestones and dolomites can be found. But not just ordinary limestone. This limestone is black, therefore also the name black limestone.

Actually I think I should be more proud of where I am coming from. Not only we have black limestone in our village, but about 2 km from my village the oldest wheel was found.

A text about the sculptures in the protected limstone area of Drenov Grič (in English, don`t worry) Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the sculptures, but that gives you just one more reason to visit my village, no? To see with your own eyes:)









More about Ljubljana moor (in English, German, Italian and Slovene)

4 comments:

Andre said...

Really environmental controlled!!

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

Can you publish more photos of your village? It looks beautiful!

Luis Monteiro said...

I want to go there!!!!
Luis